Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A difficult decision.

 Its been about 4 weeks since Lila's been to the vet. In that time her lump has expanded, ruptured, scabbed over, and partially broke off. In the name of science I bagged up her tumor. The remaining part scabbed over again and the loss helped with her mobility. She seems to be eating, drinking, and pooping normally. Other than her condition and some excessive sleeping, she seems to be a normal hedgie.

She was a good girl at the vet today. He just kept telling me how easy she was to handle. He did the normal exam, but today she resisted him touching the lump. The last appointment she had no problem with him putting some pressure on it or the leg. I offered up the "old lump" to give to the pathologist, if he was curious. Dr. Harvey thought we would at least like to see it for his own benefit.

During the exam he observed growth since the mass fell off and he noticed considerable change in size as well as texture. He also told me that the odor coming from it was due to it being sorta "rotten". We did not run any test today, however he was able to visually check the "old lump" that I kept in a zip-lock. That thing smells horrid, by the way. No tests means we don't know for sure, but he strongly believes it is a carcinoma tumor.

Before we left Dr. Harvey gave me the rundown on our options. First was a extremely costly amputation, that I could never afford in my wildest dreams. the second treatment plan was a pain killer and antibiotic duo. The meds will cost about $100 and he didn't even tell me how long that supply lasts. Then there's the au natural way, which is to wait it out.

I have never had to make a decision like this before. Her well being is my number one concern and I want to make the right decision. 
 
 
 
--the decision has not been made yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment